Romanesco cauliflower and tomato bake
The sweet, nutty flavour of the romanesco cauliflower in this bake combines with a flavor some chilli, garlic and tomato sauce and is topped with crispy, cheesy breadcrumbs. Together, these ingredients create a seasonal dish that is both warming and healthy. It’s really good to serve in your dining table to accompany your lunch or dinner.
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp crushed chillies
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 large or 2 small romanesco cauliflower, cut into 2-5cm (1in) wedges
- 1 large slice sourdough
- 3 tbsp grated vegetarian hard cheese or Parmesan
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
.how to make:
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan over a medium-high heat. Add the garlic and chili and cook for 1-2 minutes, until golden. Add the tomatoes, season, and cook for 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Transfer the tomato mixture to a large roasting tin or oven dish. Top with the cauliflower and brush with the remaining oil; season well. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender.
- Meanwhile, put the bread in a food processor and whizz to fine crumbs. Combine the breadcrumbs, cheese and parsley in a small bowl; season.
- Remove the foil from the roasting tin and scatter the breadcrumb mixture over the cauliflower. Return to the oven for a further 15 minutes, or until golden.